Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 12, 2005

My first step up

The surreal feeling of two of us being called into the boss' room, informing that both of us will be "given the opportunity" to become Assistant Managers. Of course, a whole lot of talk about more responsibilities, explicitly telling us we shouldn't be clocking out at 5.30pm sharp anymore, having to learn to "manage", allocating us our own cubicles, etc.

It was a surprise. Because I originally thought it would either be me or her. I guess the boss is smart enough to realise that in order to keep us both, he has to give both a promotion. That's why he's the boss.

Am in fact, quite glad. Primarily because I need the extra cash that comes with the promotion. (Does that need mean that I'm getting sucked deeper into the rat race?). Secondarily because it gives me a reason not to have to look for "greener pastures". Know that both reasons don't seem to be characteristically strong ones, but am not going to do anything about it.

Another director from our HQ called us to congratulate us and informed us we deserved it. Now that really felt good, knowing that we had worked for it.

However, another colleague of mine who was overlooked for these promotions, was rather upset. After all, it wasn't just one, but two. Rather awkward. I'd feel the same.

Well, part and parcel of work. Truthfully, this hasn't renewed my vigour for work (quite obvious from my lack of enthusiasm, huh?). But realistically, I shall work harder and more responsibly. The promotion takes effect in the new year. Happy for me? :)

7 comments:

Jay said...

Congratulations for the promotion :) I guess you will be moving up in ranking then :)

Amy W. said...

Thank you :)

Natallie said...

geezz.. so it's made official now? can i tell cm yet?! hehehe..
and again, congrates dear!!! :)

Amy W. said...

thankie you :) yes u can tell cm, but just dun blow it outta proportion ... u know me la, low-profile ;P

Jarod Lee said...

yes. congratulation and you are definitely in the rat race already.

Amy W. said...

Thank you, that's reassuring :P But, to comfort myself, rat-race I shall be in no more than I can help it. Giving it another 10 years max :P

Jarod Lee said...

Hahahahahaha...I shall wait for the 10 years then and hopefully this blog still exist to testify your saying. 10 years my friend I shall wait.