Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 18, 2006

DaVinci Code - The Movie

The book's better - by more than a few miles.

Don't worry, no spoilers ahead, since everyone's read the book! :P

At the beginning of the movie, I kept wondering how people who hadn't read the book thought the movie was going. Because so many characters were introduced in the first 15 minutes. So yes, lack of character development. And well, if the book were to be compressed into a 2-hour movie, I guess we can't really expect much.

Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon was better than I thought he would be. Audrey Tautou was okay. Both of them together - not okay. Jean Reno as Fache, charismatic but not impressive. Ian McKellen as Leigh Teabing - excellent! And I-forgot-his-name-but-I-loved-him-in-Beautiful-Mind as Silas, well, I imagined someone of a larger frame and more imposing demeanour.

And of course, the part where Sophie is told that she is Jesus' descendant - hmm, I think this would require really excellent professional acting in order to ACT it convincingly. Indeed, reading is much more pleasurable than going to the movies - sometimes. This is one of those times.

So there, you got the essence of the movie.

Yesterday was a charity premiere screening for Soroptimist Damansara. And boy, were they strict. You had to be scanned with those hand metal scanners by security in uniform. Then at the next level, they checked your bag and made me shake my denim jacket to ensure I was hiding anything. Then they took my handphone (because it had a measly camera). And when we were settled in the hall, a number of the cinema staff came round to chase out people under-18. And a couple who brought their baby had to leave as well. Apparently the 18-PL rating was very strict - stricter than what it was meant to be. I mean, I thought it was allowed with parental guidance? Ah well, there goes RM35 per ticket for that poor couple.

The ending part had too much talking. I dozed off and on when it neared the end. Maybe because I was just tired and it was late.

But don't let all my talk deter you from seeing the movie. Go see if you must. After all, it's always good to be reminded that leaving some things to your imagination is always a good thing.

2 comments:

Jay said...

HOHOHO ... not everyone has read the book as you thought ... I'm one of those ignoramuses ...

Amy W. said...

keke, then go watch the movie - must shorter version of the book!