Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 10, 2004

How much are YOU worth?

I've heard that question a couple of times the past week. The first time I heard it was from a good friend who calculated it out mathematically for me. Apparently, I'm basically worth how much I earn, plus the assets I own - which all accumulates to not much, haha :P Hmm, if that's the basis of my worth, think it's time I asked for a raise :P

The second time I heard, or more accurately, read this question was at a blog site I frequent. This time, the question was asked not in the mathematical sense. This is the article that goes with it :

In a brief conversation, a man asked a woman he was pursuing the question : "What kind of man are you looking for?"

She sat quietly for a moment, before looking him in the eye and asking : "Do you really want to know?"

Reluctantly, he said yes.

She began to expound ... "As a woman in this day and age, I am in a position to ask a man what he can do for me that I can't do for myself. I pay my own bills. I take care of my own household without the help of a man, or any woman for that matter. I am in the position to ask 'What can you bring to the table?'"

The man looked at her. Clearly he thought she was referring to money. She quickly corrected his thought and stated, "I'm not referring to money. I need something more. I need a man who is striving for perfection in every aspect of his life."

He sat back in his chair, folded his arms, and asked her to explain.

She said, "I'm looking for someone who is striving for perfection mentally because I need conversation and mental stimulation. I don't need a simple-minded man. I am looking for someone who is striving for perfection spiritually because I don't need to be unequally yoked ... believers mixed with unbelievers is a recipe for disaster. I need a man who is striving for perfection financially because I don't need a financial burden. I am looking for someone who is sensitive enough to understand what I go through as a woman, but strong enough to keep me grounded. I am looking for someone who I can respect. In order to be submissive, I must respect him. I cannot be submissive to a man who isn't taking care of his business. I have no problem being submissive ... he just has to be worthy. God made woman to be a help mate for man. I can't help a man if he can't help himself."

When she finished her spill, she looked at him. He sat there with a puzzled look on his face.

He said, "You're asking a lot."

She replied, "I'm worth a lot."

With 2005 approaching fast, (where did the time go?), it's that time of the year when most of us sit back and re-think the resolutions we made. And what we've achieved. And a time when we make new ones, and start all over again. Next year, I reach my quarter-life point (if I live to be a hundred!). Half a decade ago, I had dreams of what I'd be at this point, what my life looked like, how successful and glamourous life as an adult would be. Like I said, that was 5 years ago ... and that was day-dreaming. But, I'm happy I'm halfway there. Not there yet, but on the right path.

I ask a lot of myself. And it honestly hasn't been easy. At work, perfection appears to breed more work! I guess you can look at it a good way, being efficient and causing more work to be delegated to you, and thus increasing your worth or value to the company - which, conversely, is not aligned with your salary :P And, for the sake of my future, a hopefully bright one, I endure countless nights of ploughing through books just to complete my Masters assignments.

But of others, I have this inanely low expectation. I don't expect people to be nice to me for no reason, don't ask for help if I don't need it, don't bother them unless necessary, and won't rock the boat at all unless it's absolutely essential - maybe I'm just plain accommodative. Some could see that as demeaning others' abilities.

But, if I follow the line of the story, wouldn't that mean that I see my worth as a whole lot less if I expect so lowly of others?

And, if you're the man in the story, wouldn't you think that the woman was asking for so much and wonder if she'd be able to give as much back in return?

BUT, isn't the woman oh so right in putting into such eloquent words the need of every woman??

No comments: