Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Climbing rocks

Me trying hard not to look scared of the walls

Camp 5 at 1 Utama has this pretty awesome vibe - it's filled with people who are all looking to challenge their limits.

Trying my hand at bouldering with the girl behind "spotting" me

We got to 1 Utama the earliest I've ever been there - at 9.20am, at a discreet corner of Level 5 (accessible by the lift opposite Big Apple Donuts in the new wing). Joe, KF and I were attending the Basic Wall Course at RM126/- per person, from 10am - 3pm.

Our class listening to the instructor (seated in blue)

We learnt :
- How to tie double-eight knots
- How to belay
- The "passwords" of climbing
- How to do bouldering (nope, not throw rocks off cliffs)

KF trying to be spiderman at the boulder

It was a very fun day! Because I got to learn something new, and something I never thought I'd do! Ok la, I didn't manage to reach the top, chickened out mid-way because accidentally saw the blue carpet from the corner of my eye and the "heights" fear popped up (yes I'm someone who can't even climb past the 4th step of a ladder). I tried 3 different times on 2 different routes, but still failed to get to the top. And around me were small little nimble kids happily monkey-ing their way up and down the rocks - geez. But, it's still an achievement for me, so I deem the day not wasted - and I got a small-but-oh-so-painful blister on my right little finger to show for it. I had to plonk to bed at 11pm on a Saturday night from all the exertion.

And so, I had a great Saturday, plus the license to boast : "I've rock-climbed before!". I'd love to go again, if only just to see if I can reach the top. If a 7-year-old can do it, I should be able to too.

(All photos courtesy of Mui Yee - who patiently waited for us throughout the class)

5 comments:

Peanutxz said...

try the one at genting. when they let u down, it's at ONE FREAKING GO. gahhh...DO U WANNA GO WAKEBOARDING?!?!?! it's by alex yoong's dad at putrajaya. rm300 for 4 classes. after 4 classes, u'd be good enuff to surf around and start exploring ur own stunts. WEEE!!!

Amy W. said...

wakeboarding? have u gone? show pics! p/s i can't access ur blog laa

Peanutxz said...

NOT YET!! But I've asked them loads of questions and am contemplating picking it up. WANNA GO?!??! RM300 and we're almost pros!!! Don't tell my sis. She thinks it's dangerous. LOL

Oh I add you laaa!! Pass me your add over msn. ;)

Anonymous said...

no bob oso.

eh d pic of ur butt veri clear hor:\?

ok, u can delete my komen now...haha

-wc

Amy W. said...

PX: er, no thx, wakeboarding sounds too painful ... u go take with one of ur crazy frens la :P

WC : yes i know i fat, the diet starts tmr. i hate u.