Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sembunyi Spa

Even the name sounds so serene - a hideaway!

After an entire 2 full days of pigging out in Melaka over Christmas, we came back and promptly booked ourselves for a "Give me a break" session at Sembunyi Spa on Friday (talk about indulgence!). The website says it's a 2-hour session and retails at RM260.00++ (but an extra charge of RM20++ per hour is added for use of the Renyai couple room, or RM50++ per hour for the Mayang Sari couple suite). We opted to indulge in our own individual rooms.

We were led off separately to the changing rooms. Along the way, the therapist pointed out the infinity lap pool and said it was free for spa guests. In the female changing room, I was assigned a locker - which had a towel, a dress robe, a sleeveless top, 2 disposable undies, 2 hangers, an emery board (yah, so odd), cotton buds, shower cap, a sanitary bag and a pair of slippers. I was told to put on the sleeveless top and undie, then go soak myself in the jacuzzi.

The jacuzzi is in another closed room off the lockers area, also within the "female changing room". It was pretty big - probably can fit about 6 or 7 people comfortably without the need to touch. And it was spouting pretty strong jets of water - nice. There was also a big picture window looking out to the lake which had a spouting fountain. Serene, if not for the fact that I was alone in that big room with ominous sounds of jetting water and scenes of horror movies running at the edge of my paranoid mind.

But, I put those thoughts away as fast as I could, and began my indulgence.
I was told to soak in the jacuzzi for 10 minutes, dip myself in the "cold dip" pool next to it for 30 seconds, then hop into the steam room for 10 minutes (the sauna wasn't working) and the cold dip again for 30 secs. I decided to just beat my fat away in the jetting water for 15 minutes (there's a cheap RM5 Ikea clock in one corner). Then as I put my big toe into the cold dip, I quickly realized that was a no go. Brrr. Quickly dried myself and changed into the robe, then roamed the changing room.
At one corner, there were 2 shower stalls and 2 toilets. Outside, there were 2 sinks, which had a Listerine bottle and little cups next to it (super thoughtful I tell ya). Also a basket of paper towels and sanitary bags. As well as a water dispenser with disposable cups. At another corner, there was a row of chairs facing a mirror. Along the counter was a basket of hair brushes and a hairdryer. They've thought of everything!

Soon, a girl came along and said my treatment room was ready. Cool. I traipsed off following her along the timber corridor. The treatment room was cosy, with a bed in the middle (and hand railings on the ceiling), and a granite bath tub at the side. The girl gave me a cup of cold ginger tea (yummy), then I was told to strip and began my 60-min Balinese Massage aka Serenity (RM160++). I used the rose oil (it was not too fragrant or overpowering, in fact I barely smelt it). KF used the lavender oil.

The masseur was pretty good. And I know this because it did not feel too painful when she was massaging me. But the next morning I woke up and felt slightly sore. Great massage. She even massaged my scalp.

Then it was time for the Scrub (40 minutes for RM122++). And because I wanted to come out smelling all nice and rosy, I chose the Mawar Passion - rose salt scrub (mixture of finely ground deep sea salt, rosa centifolia water blended with rose geranium essential oil which detoxifies and cleanses). This was pretty good. She scrubbed me well :P (Although I think the scrub that I experienced in Rustic Nirvana was a bit better in terms of silky smooth skin after-effects). She'll first scrub a particular part, then will rub hot water onto it to cleanse it. Pretty nice feeling.

Finally, it was time for the Bath (20 minutes for RM60++). I chose In The Garden, in line with my rosy-theme, "indulge in a rich milk and fresh blossom bath scented with melur dream bath gel for moisturising" which I felt was a bit expensive. However, it was nice to just soak in the tub, enjoy my ginger tea (yes another cup, but this time hot) and yummy honey dew pudding (this was really quite good). Only thing was that after my soak, I didn't know how to drain the tub. So I just did some gymnastics and rinsed myself off with the shower, then traipsed back to the changing room to finish up. [Sembunyi Spa supplies all the toiletries for Cyberview Lodge's rooms in ceramic bottles - so nope, I wasn't able to sneak any of those sweet-smelling shampoos away.]

I was almost inclined to leave a tip for my masseur on my way out. She was that good. Most of the therapists in Sembunyi Spa look Malay or are probably Indonesians / Balinese, which is good, and not dodgy at all. Their appointment book also looks pretty full.

My verdict : It's a great great spa. Probably would be great for a hen's night or girl's day out too, because it allows for communal events in the changing room (separate for the different sexes), and private massages in private rooms. Expensive, yes. But which good spa isn't? And the fact that it's sited out of town in Cyberjaya makes it even more of a getaway. I can't wait to go back ;)

No comments: