Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sweet or sour?


"When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade."
Dale Carnegie

It's amazing how AIESEC has changed my life. Or more like, how much AIESEC features in my life-changing moments. So cliche, I know! But it's true.

If I had not made the decision to attend APXLDS 2000 in Manila, I wouldn't have met KF - of which at that time, I never thought we'd be good friends, let alone become life partners.

If my hostel-mate hadn't told me about AIESEC, exchange being the key word here, I wouldn't have met so many people from other universities (some of which are now my closest group of friends), and my life in uni wouldn't have been as wonderfully-filled. And to think that I cried after finding out I'd been accepted (or more like banished) to UTM in the ulu place called Skudai - having tasted how wonderfully superficially Hollywood-like Taylors' College can be and at that time looking forward to 3-whole years overseas in Auckland Uni.

With the benefit of hindsight, I can safely say that I'm glad life threw me lemons ... and although I had not intended to make any lemonade, I somehow did - and a sweet great-tasting one at that! :)

And so, I never thought AIESEC would still feature in my life after uni. But last week, a group of us dropped by to the national conference in UPM and contributed to their alumni day agenda. I enjoyed the sessions, talking to the young people (I still can't believe they're 10 years younger, where did the time go?) and feeling young once again, cringing at the jingles but laughing at the same time because I remember those days, and most of all, I met an inspiring woman.

She's a trainee here from Estonia (yes, that is one country I must go to one day because a country that has so many wonderful women must be a really beautiful country).
And she's here with her 5-year old boy.

Who is a really super adorable kid - I am in love :P

A single mum who travelled halfway around the world with her kid in tow, knowing not what lies ahead, but determined to make the best of everything. (She was president of AIESEC Estonia last year - and yes her little boy tagged along for those endless conferences.) It's been a long while since I've met such an optimist, but when you meet her, you'll know that whatever lemons has been thrown at her has not made her sour one bit. The fact that she's younger than I am, and being so much more mature, really puts me to shame. I don't think I'd ever be able to do what she is doing. But I'm glad I met her.

Her clear thoughts are portrayed in her words and actions. I am inspired. Not to have kids, no. But inspired to know that there are people in the world who pull through wonderfully, with lemonade in hand.

Marjam (pronounced like Mariam) is aspiring to learn as much as she can about internet marketing while pursuing her traineeship and seeing the world with Maru.

Lemonade or limau ais - inspiration comes in many forms and I'm glad to be jolted towards optimists every once in a while.

1 comment:

Marjam said...

Honored and awed, Amy, reading your reflections was an inspiration for me. Lot's of love and looking forward for the next meeting.