Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 28, 2006

It's the week of patriotism!

Tang-gal tiga-puluh satuuu ... bulan lapan, lima-puluh-tujuh ...!!! That Sudirman song never fails to make me smile :)

I'm happy to be Malaysian, I really am. I can find lots of things to complain about the government, the mentality of its people, the mindless driving, the crime-rate. But, in the end, there is still no where else I'd rather be. Of course, living in Bangkok or Australia or London for a year or two would be great, but Malaysia is where I'd really want to stay, grow up, raise a family, earn a living, and basically just, live.

Just because I was born here.

The news in the papers about the various antics of our government really annoy me. But then, which government doesn't?

The special benefits awarded to bumiputera's also irk me a little. But hey, I can live with it, because it teaches me to be stronger.

The uncivilized drivers sometimes drive me to honk like a maniac. But then, which country's driving doesn't?

But it is sad that racial segregation seems to be so obvious these days. Or maybe it is the same. Maybe when we were younger and our schoolmates weren't differentiated in colours, it was for adults what it is now for us as grown kids. Maybe we just grow more cynical as days pass.

This Merdeka, I will probably spend it like how I spend Sundays, pottering around doing nothing in particular, just luxuriating that there's a comfortable home and great companionship (also enjoying the mid-work week break). Then, come Friday evening, I take a trip down to our southern neighbour, to enjoy a 48-hour holiday right in the middle of the Orchard shopping haven. Isn't it great to be Malaysian?

No comments: